Home About Contact Disclaimer Image Map

Thursday 13 February 2014

Break the Rules | Valentine's Day

Hi guys and welcome to my new series called Break the Rules. To sum it up, I'm going to be doing looks or tutorials, or maybe even reviews, that break the norm of the occasion or season in which it takes place. Today is the first edition, and it's all about Valentine's Day! I've created a look that deviates from the traditional red and pink make up but is still fitting the theme of delicate and pretty. Want to see what I came up with? If you said no, tough, because here it comes anyway!

I stuck with the purple theme pretty heavily and because of the bold lip, kept the cheeks and eyes a little bit more neutral, although not completely. I start out doing my eye make up first because I find that concealer and foundation often buffs away any fall out from eyeshadow and smudges from mascara. So here's the look I created for the eyes:

I started out using an eye primer (the Urban Decay Primer Potion) and then coated the entirety of my lid in a nice lavender shade from a really cheap palette that I got years ago for Christmas. I'll find the name and put it underneath the look, along with everything else used and prices for them. I then used some burgundy/plum eyeshadow (from the same palette) in the crease and light outer V to keep the look soft but still contoured. Finished it off with a thin coat of Rimmel Exaggerate liquid eyeliner, stopping at the lash line instead of going into a cat eye, and a few coats of Max Factor Masterpiece mascara. I ran out of my usual brow product so I had to make do with an auburn eyeshadow from the same palette that isn't quite right, but it'll do for now. I think it created quite a pretty and feminine look that breaks the red/pink rules of Valentines day, but still sticks to the romantic theme.

Moving onto the face now:

Started out with the usual cleanse, tone, moisturise routine. Then I used my Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum foundation all over the face in 51 Vanille Clair, buffing it in with a Real Techniques Buffing brush. It was then time for the concealer. I always have quite dark circles, genetically, but I found that the Maybelline Dream Touch Lumi concealer does the trick. It's not the best illumining concealer out there, but I thought I'd try it out and it's decent enough. I much prefer the L'oreal one though. Just a quick dusting of my Revlon PhotoReady powder and all I need is some blush and a tiny bit of bronzer. I always do my bronzer first, and this time I'm using the Body Shop Honey Bronze Bronzing Powder in the lightest shade. Just a quick dusting as I don't want an overly dramatic look for my cheeks. A little bit of 17's Blush Powder in Plum Puff and the face is done!

The only thing left is to add a slick of MAC Violetta on the lips and the look is complete! So what do you think? Do you like it or dislike it?

Products I Used:
Urban Decay Primer Potion (Original) - £16
Badgequo Collection Classic Eyeshadow Palette - £7.91
Rimmel Exaggerate Liquid Eyeliner - £5.29
Max Factor Masterpiece Mascara - £9.99
Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum Foundation - £10.99
Maybelline Dream Touch Lumi Concealer - £6.99
Revlon PhotoReady Powder - £11.29
The Body Shop Honey Bronze Bronzing Powder - £13.00
17 Blush Powder - £3.49
MAC Violetta Lipstick (Can't find a link) - £15.00

Thank you so much for reading,
Kerry x

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea for a series! This look is beautiful. I really like the bold colors you used for the eyes and lips. Purple lips look so edgy and cool but are wearable at the same time. Great job! xoxo Lauren

    ReplyDelete